PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bachelor in Aviation?
View Single Post
Old 8th Feb 2007, 10:37
Tutaewera

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fish Which Uni?

If one assumes you are in Singapore I will put in my 5 cents worth.
Firstly - don't bother with the many Unis who offer barely dressed up B.Sc's or B.Coms as aviation degrees, when in fact they are mostly nothing of the sort.
Secondly - be careful in which country you study. Especially if you intend to work in Singapore, Hong Kong, Europe or Australasia. As much as I enjoy the hospitality of my American friends and respect many of their institutions the simple fact is some US schools offer "degrees" that may not be accepted. Any "associate degree" is basically worthless and many "full" degrees are not much better unless from an Ivy league school or the military, etc. You will also find an FAA licence is sometimes not looked upon favourably by CAAS Flight Crew Licencing. You can scream discrimination-lah if you want But its probably more a reflection of the very real different theory exam standards and wide variety of academic institutions.
This is not intended to bash FAA licences, its just my view after 20 years in the game in many different countries (thanks to 911 ) with as many ATPL licences. And having earned "proper" Uni degrees and post grad Dips that have always been "good enough" for recruiters.
For whatever reason(s), CAAS has some kinda deal going with Massey University's School of Aviation in New Zealand. They accept their CPL/IR that comes with the B.Av as a swap for the SIN licence. That will save you some hassle and $$$ when returning to look for a job. CAAS seems quite cosey with them.
However as a grad of both Massey Uni and later Swinburne Uni (OZ) In my view the Swinburne course was far better. It gave me useable knowledge from industry experts of reknown, and its reputation is perhaps endorsed by the many current aircrew from the likes of QANTAS, Cathay, Virgin Blue, Emirates etc who study there. When I was studying with Massey I got alot of irrelevant material from academics who were in my view, aviation nobodies with little industry experience. I have heard that the was a shake up there and that things are better now. I have also heard the RMIT course is quite useful... All I am saying is ASK AROUND before you sign and spend!
I had quite a few years in GA and regionals b4 doing my Uni aviation studies and am now an Airbus TRN CPT with about 20 years in the industry. I feel I can now usually recognise useful from non-useful and BS from reality.
If you want to be safe and ensure you hard work and $$$ are recognised back home, go to the UK, OZ or NZ. And then see if its a real aviation degree of some repute.

One last thing - only once did I really require a degree for a job, and at that particular major SE Asian airline any decent degree was enough. A B.Av was not required. I see the main benefit of such a thing is the reduction in time and $$$ vs getting a normal degree and then your CPL/IR/ATPL theory afterwards etc.

Last edited by Tutaewera; 8th Feb 2007 at 11:03.