PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LoCo airlines busting minima in LVP's at STN?
Old 5th May 2006, 10:20
AIMS by IBM
Yaw Damper: "Never Leave Home Without It"

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pilot Pete
The Alert Height is where, if above it you can do fault rectification, switching etc but below which you don't. If you have the capability to rectify a problem before the Alert Height you may do so and continue the approach, bearing in mind your Autoland/ LVO capability. If you have passed the Alert Height then you should NOT trouble-shoot and fault rectify. You ascertain any required increase in minima due to the fault and continue to that or you go around.

I see you are in TEXAS, so I guess you would follow the relevant FARs.....

PP
The whole idea of Alert Height is that once below you can continue on the same minima that's why they keep it so low.

It occurs to me that you may be mixing two concepts.
A height stipulated by your airline that allows you to go into a split cockpit setting (Checklist by one flying by the other) and the Alert Height.

These are two different concepts and are not related.

To put it in a nutshell:

1.App ban: you can continue if RVR go below

2.Alert Height: You can continue with your app with same mininma for certain technical failures only if you use the certified alert height.

3.Split cockpit Height: Lowest height were you can switch etc...

There is a temptation to set 2 and 3 at the same value but in my opinion that is illegal.