PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bachelor in Aviation?
View Single Post
Old 7th Feb 2007, 07:17
ckhy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gooday people, let me share some of my experience with you guys
I have been in Australia for nearly 10 years now (home town is HKG) and only fell in love with flying when I was 16, which was only 4 years ago. Since then I've decided to commit to aviation after I finished highschool. During my time in highschool I went through the same dilemma as most teens did of deciding what course I should take in University. I was well aware that there's no need for any degrees to become a pilot but I went with a Bachelor of Aviation anyway because I just feel more secure with a degree if you know what I mean and I knew if I did some other subjects like Business for examples sake and still train towards my licences,I would not be happy and I know for sure that I will fail that course miserably.
One thing to note that Dream747, is that my passion for flying doesn't narrow down to only the airlines but of course It would be nice If I could get the job.
I would just be happy to fly any aircraft anywhere in the world just because it's flying. You have to ask yourself that whether you really wanted to become a pilot no matter whether it's GA or the airlines or you're just kind of living in this whole ideal job ideal life airline dream? I am not trying to discourage you or doubt your passion by any means but I just wanted you to know that the roads for pilots doesn't end with the airlines.
Have you been in any light aircraft before? I might suggest you to go undertake one of those trial flights (not sure whether they have it over in singapore) just for the sake of getting the experience and know what this industry is actually about. That was exactly how I fell in love with flying by the way.
And as for myself, I'm currently about to start my final year and I hold CPL, MECIR, 2 subjects to go for my fATPL and I'm about to start my instructors rating training as well and will work as one until I graduate from uni. I am very fortunate that my family have been very supportive financially althought it is only a loan. After obtaining my bachelor I would go for the cadetships in Asia but If I failed to get it (touch wood) I would go back to Australia and maybe instruct or bush flying for a couple of years then I'll give the majors a try again.
At the end of the day whether the degree is useful or not, yes it certainly is to me, probably not now, not in a 1 or 2 years time but definitely further down the track.
You're not getting the degree for the airlines, the degree is for yourself as a pilot no matter what aircraft you fly or what company you're with.

Anyhow good luck all the best