PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jetstar StarClass
View Single Post
Old 5th Feb 2007, 12:20
Victor India

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Snobbery

Murgatroid (post 1) et al,

I note your snobbish tone towards the 'typical' Jetstar passenger. Believe me, the introduction of Jetstar has had a profound effect on my career, but I must say I have no ill feelings towards those who are choosing to use the Jetstar product. I think it is a sad result that people in this industry end up slinging sh*t at the "Aussie bogan". They didn't create Jetstar - GD and his cronies did. I admit the average dress standard on a Jetstar service is below the mainline average, but it's not the passengers who set the low fares, the Qantas Group does. Of course this will attract a new demograph.

I'm sure that in the early 1900s, it was unusual to see someone in dirty workers clothing travelling atop the relative luxury of a Model T Ford. Perhaps it would have drawn a snide remark from the few wealthy enough to own one. I can't help seeing similarities with the types of remarks I read on this and other threads from people who seem to derive joy from emphasising the class differences between us all.

I have spent my entire adult life earning a decent wage and wearing a respectable set of threads/uniform to work. But if I am travelling to Hamilton Island on a Jetstar service for a week sailing, do you reckon I wear a pair of thongs/sandals and shorts and enjoy a Bundy enroute? Absolutely!

Ask yourself the question : when you take yourself, your partner and/or your kids down to the beach on a Sunday morning, do you wear a pair of tailored business style trousers, a business shirt and a tie down to the beach or perhaps relax your usually impeccable dress standard and make do with a pair of boardies, thongs and a t-shirt? Would you expect to be called a "Bogan" by people sitting in a gucci beachfront cafe?

Reality check : if you need to complain about the "Aussie Bogan" in that he doesn't need to dress up for his flight and he enjoys a Fruity Lexia, I'd suggest the problem is yours, not his. Let's focus on the real culprits...

VI