PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Help!!
Thread: Help!!
View Single Post
Old 18th Oct 2001, 05:55
Bally Heck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Help!!

Hello Windows Gurus.

Having had 15 years of trouble free Mac computing, I took the plunge a few months ago and bought a Sony Vaio. (how do you pronounce that?)

Anyway, a couple of weeks ago, explorer froze when I was PPRuNeing. I did control-alt delete and it started, went through part of a disc scan and the disk scan program froze.

Well after a considerable amount of faffing about, I got Windows to run but not explorer.

In desperation, I bought McAfee First Aid, Virus Scan, Firewall, Firefighter, Ambulanceman, Brain Surgeon and Quantum Physicist. To no avail!

Couldn't connect to the net!

So I rebooted from the rescue CD which wipes the C drive. No great loss. (Mac rescue CD only replaces the system not all the software and files. But hey, I'm not bitter)

Anyway all was now kind of fine except explorer only allows about 15 minutes of browsing before playing funny tricks like not loading graphics and displaying interesting but illegible graphics which appear to be a kind of echo effect of all the characters displayed on a page.

Sooo I downloaded Explorer 6 last night and it does the same.

Closing down explorer and trying to restart it, or open any window or application results in an insufficient memory message or no response at all.

So, I better post this message before I have to turn the power off and reboot.

HELP before I trash the bloody thing!!