PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RYR, don't you weather brief before flight?
Old 4th Feb 2007, 13:36
F4F

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for all you replies gals & guys. And while some of you seem to be quite touchy ( ) believe me, there was not the slightest idea of FR or anybody else bashing.
Still I don't really get the idea. Maybe one could better save everybody's time on a clear nice and sunny day by concentrating on more serious tasks
If you do proper planning, you will, before taking off, check the latest destination and, if applicable, enroute alternates and destination alternates wx. Part of the fuel required will be based on those METARs and TAFs. Splendid wx (I spare you the details of the requirements) with multiple runways allow planning without alternate, while one is required when the field is open, or two if the field is closed. Most of the time, having checked the wind direction, the NOTAMs, using your knowledge of the field will give you the landing direction.
Now, let's admit your are flying from say any London airport to Venice, northern Italy. While at the planning stage WX was CAT I, calling up any (Swiss or French, who cares) AFIS reveals the WX is now CAT III. What will you do? Turn back? Land to refuel? No my friend, nothing else but contine towards destination hoping the fuel you are carrying will permit some holding before diversion is necessary.

Oh well, who cares in 50 years