PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - flyBe GPWS incident (rumour)
View Single Post
Old 30th Jan 2007, 05:16
Sink Rate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hudson Bay,

I'm afraid I shall have to disagree with your millitant stance regarding the crew being "idiots".

I have never seen an Ops manual that prohibits circling on final, indeed, if carefully flown it can be very useful to lose height/create time/increase separation.

The problem is not the manouvre, it is the application. It shouldn't be attempted (just like anything else) unless the crew are sure of their ability to accurately and safely complete the manouvre within the rules). Pilots are trained profesionals that should be capable of making their own decisions. Sure we can legislate for the lowest common denominator but that would be a real shame, and an insult to many.

If you wish to teach that any crew that doesn't go around is an idiot then that is your choice, however you are using the term idiot to clump together those that should go around as well some very accomplished and experienced aviators who would have no trouble with such a manouvre.

Careful, thorough, consideration and rigour is the key to being a good pilot. Know your limits, admit to yourself weaknesses and don't be afraid to throw away the approach if things are not going as planned. Orbitting is fine. Orbitting out of control is not. Calling other aviators idiots for not obeying your personnal Ops Manual is churlish and embarassing to us professionals.