PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Global Association of Trainee Pilots: Recruiting Here!
Old 29th Jan 2007, 16:31
SingSong

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
would i buy a type rating if it guaranteed me a job to pay of my debts? Too right i would.

I agree, its nonsense that I'd have to do it. I don't like that I'd have to do it, but if it guaranteed me a job, and a foot on the ladder, I'd jump at it.

its a nice idea what you are trying to do i wish above all that any competent pilot could get jobs easily, but its not like that. The airlines have so many wannabes to chose from you've got to be willing to go further. Its our own faults really, that first person who said "Sure i'll pay for my own TR" sure did screw it for the rest of us, but now there is nothing we can do. If it is the only way you can get the job you've got to do it. Principles are great, but lets face it, they don't pay the bills. Jobs do.

As for your other points hours on their own don't make the pilot. The person with the hours does. That FI with 1000 hours may not have what it takes at the airline in question, the 200 hour training captains child may be perfect. Personality matters.

I wish this could make a difference, but it wont. we're wannabes with <1000 hours, why would airlines care what we think? With most airlines we need their jobs more than they need us.

i want you to answer honestly:

you've been qualified for a year still on 350 hours, your in debt up to your ears and an airline comes to you and says " we like you, buy 'x' rating and you have a job" now this job will give you enough money each month to pay off the debts you've accrued. do you swallow your pride and principles and take it? or risk losing everything?

We'd all like to pretend its the latter, that principles are worth more, but the banks won't care, they just want your money.

*Edited to add more*

Last edited by SingSong; 29th Jan 2007 at 16:44.