PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Getting into Ag Flying
View Single Post
Old 28th Jan 2007, 19:17
Ag2A320

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It isnt a game, and the reality is that unless one has over 500 hrs ag time, its next to impossible to get a seat flying Ag, I have had pilots come up and inquire, and as much i d love to give some of them a chance at my old seat, insurance dictates min 2500TTAg with 500 hrs on type, havent had any accidents in 15 yrs of operations but my premiums keep going up, id rather hire a old hand with no accidents or violations, than train a newbie and worry about him bending the airplane on the first load , with the costs of a new turbine @ $800K or a good old one inexcess of $260K, I just dont feel the risk is worth it. I'd rather get permission from day job to fly back up on my days off;when one of my guys needs time off etc ,than hire a newbie to the business, its the sad reality, we operators hashed it out at the 2006 NAAA convention in Orlando, that the average age of an Ag-pilot is 45 yrs old and the median is not getting any younger.

Funny thing got my Ag- seat withless than 600TT and 50 on type at 22, and flew D-C Bull/Turbo Thrushes for my first seat . Now i can't afford to give the same break to my loaders/ A&P apprentices whom i trust and have instructed the intricases of agflying; spoke to my insurance company and others till i'm blue in the face, the jump in premium is so horrendous for what i'd pay to cover him/her, we could purchase a spare -34 Thrush every 3 years till he/she gets to 2500 TTAG. I fly less than 50hrs a year ag, and even with airline job, the premiums work out more cost effective and have better liability coverage to keep myself listed as a relief pilot and contract other pilots with 3500 -17,000TT Ag as necessary, if the work cant be covered by the fulltime guys or myself.

The UK/CAA and UK/EPA conspired to kill the Agflying industry in the UK became heavily over regulated, which is a shame, because the UK consortium CropCulture/Micronair had a big influence on the ag flying worldwide. Cropculture was founded by Britten- Norman,McMahon and Mann in 195o's owned shares in Snow Aeronautical, Transland etc.Last based in Bembridge, Isle of Wight, went bust in 1985 with the demise of spraying in the UK, operated over 160 aircraft in 50 countries.

For training recommend Agflight in Bainbride Georgia USA, Orsmond Airspray in South Africa, Univ. Louisiana Ag-course, or any other advertised in AG-Airupdate. Stay away from Sam Riggs or any entity he's involved with. Ayres/Thrush shut down their school in the 1990's, not sure what Air Tractor does.Simcom's Ag course is a bit pricey, not required till getting into your first turbine seat.

Most likely first seat going to be a Pawnee or husky with luck AT-301 0r 600 Thrush. hope you can break in, sorry couldnt offer a Seat.

Last edited by Ag2A320; 28th Jan 2007 at 19:36.