PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jersey-2
Thread: Jersey-2
View Single Post
Old 28th Jan 2007, 10:22
JobsaGoodun

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As an outsider looking in I have to say that i'm somewhat suprised by the comments of some on here. Whilst I am pleased that JER has its LHR route back, this is being supplied by an airline that would appear to have lost its way over the recent years.
BMI are slot sitting and nothing more, as soon as a viable long haul route comes along they will ditch JER as BA did some 7yrs ago. You don't use 49seat aircraft on expensive LHR slots unless you have to!
BA will stay in JER if the sums work, and whilst the route may be profitable for them, if the entire LGW business isn't then it may only be a matter of time before they go!
Flybe have provided regional routes to JER for years now, LGW/BHX/EXT have all been in existance for well over 10yrs so I am baffled by comments claiming that
Flybe lost the plot for the Channel Islands when J.F came on the scene
.....how exactly???
Equally,
Flybe have been slow to grow their JER business
Not only have Flybe provided consistency on routes to LGW/BHX and EXT but they have also enhanced the network with direct flights to EDI, SOU and BRS but also seasonal flights to LTN,NWI,NCL,SEN,GLA,LPL and BHD.
I would hazzard a guess that if the Jersey licensing authorities allowed an open skies policy in line with the rest of the UK, providing a platform and opportunity for growth rather than the antiquated licensing system in place then Flybe would have expanded onto some routes faster than they have in the past.
JER does not have limitless numbers of people wishing to travel and a fixed population will always dictate growth. The catchment area is the same now as it always has been and only an increase in the local porpulation will feed more growth. Unless JER begins to attract vistors in a new way, changes and additions in air services will always be slow to come.

Last edited by JobsaGoodun; 29th Jan 2007 at 07:49. Reason: Spelling