PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - OAT (Oxford) - the thread, reborn (Part XXVII)!
Old 24th Jan 2007, 18:35
mad_jock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So what you are saying is that the CPL examiners don't actually know what they are doing when they pass a modular pilot. I think not. You are making out that the examiners arn't doing thier jobs properly if you are saying non-professional pilots are getting through the test.

And when did the single pilot IR have anything to do with being a professional pilot. Its a rating pure and simple you meet the standard and you pass. Be it PPL or CPL. Or are you telling me that intergrated pilots only get first time passes. There isn't a difference between a PPL IR test and a CPL IR test.

The core knowledge of being a "airline" pilot isn't even touched on in either CPL or IR. The flying aspect of my job proberly only takes about 15% of my workload. In fact thats the easy bit.

I have seen Intergrated people struggle with type rating course and modular. Which is why I suspect that airlines don't really care these days or want the pilot to take the risk on the course. If you spoke to a few TRE's and line trainers in the airlines you would understand why I am saying there is no difference. If you took a cross section of fresh cpl/IR's going through type and line training you would have some that will struggle on various bits and others that don't. With no colleration at all on how they were trained. You would have more luck seeing how current they were before they started the course.

There is a tremendous difference between the students produced by modular and integrated programs at OAT.
I would agree with you there, from the few I have had in the cockpit on check flights. Couldn't make a command call if thier life depended on it. Had always relied on the modular trained FI's to hold there hands in the past. No different handling skills or provided any super natural navigation ability that I could tell.

They did have an attitude which was amusing about what they thought they were good at. In reality they were exactly the same standard in VFR SEP machines as the PPL students.

So I don't think I am doing anybody a disfavour telling them that they are paying way to much being trained Intergrated. You get very little benefit for your 35k of cash.

And BTW some of the things that OAT beat out of them as bad habits. Guess what they get retaught them later as the way to do them. Some of the practises at OAT are brought in from BA SOP's which were meant to be set up so you could have minimal SOP differences between flying a 747 and a turboprop. Its just not the way the rest of the world do it.