PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is anyone paid for ground briefing time?
View Single Post
Old 21st Jan 2007, 18:45
FlyingForFun

Why do it if it's not fun?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quite normal, I'm afraid.

I was never paid for ground instruction at PPL level. But - my students never paid for ground instruction. The only exception was for the series of evening classes which the school ran on winter evenings to help students with the written exams - I ran the Aircraft Technical course, and got paid a fixed amount for the course.

On the other hand, when I qualified as an IMC instructor, I was paid for ground instruction with IMC students. But my school charged IMC students for ground instruction (unlike PPL students) and passed some of this charge on to me.

(The reason for this, by the way, was because the previous IMC instructor had left because, amongst other things, he was unhappy that IMC instruction required more time on the ground for less time in the air - so he was effectively being paid less for being more qualified.)

The best thing to do is make good use of bad-weather days (and there are plenty of those at the moment). If you have a student who is solo in the circuit, for example, you can use a bad-weather day to do the long briefing on navigation (which the student will need to do before too long anyway). I found that there are enough bad-weather days that I could pretty much get all of the longer briefings done on these days, and maximise the amount of flying I did on good-weather days.

Incidentally, now I teach CPL and IR, I still don't get paid for ground school - only for aircraft or simulator time. Which is why I get particularly annoyed when the school schedule two ME students to start the course a week apart, and I have to cover the 7 hours of ground tuition twice rather than combine it together for the two students. But that's the way it goes sometimes.

FFF
------------------