PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - OAT (Oxford) - the thread, reborn (Part XXVII)!
Old 21st Jan 2007, 12:50
mad_jock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All ready got a job thanks.

Modular trained never had a problem getting a job.

Spent 30k on my training in 2000-2001.

Oxford trained Pilots versus anyone else. err no different to be honest. Same test same standard. Put 10 pilots in a sim post IR and you won't be able to tell the difference. Some will excel and some will be OK. It won't have anything to do with being at OAT.

Same with theory.

Oxford dosn't actually have that good a reputation for quality pilots. If you want real hand stick quality pilots the atlantic fuglys stand apart. But you couldn't buy the training that they have had. I suspect BA limit there intake to intergrated schools purely to cut down the numbers applying. The schools know what they like and filter all the knobs out for them, saving HR's time and effort. BA this year have employed way more 500 hour multicrew people than 200 hour fresh out of school chaps. And with the 500 hour types it doesn't matter which school you went to or if you flew jet or TP. I don't think the quality will be dropping (maybe it is) its just the bean counters have worked out that there is alot less risk using someone who already has jumped through the hoop of type rating and line training.

The argument isn't that the training is bad because it isn't, its just the same as anywhere else. Its just way over priced and the magic step up in front of other pilots is virtually none exsistant. You may get lucky and be one of the 5% that get's put forward for a job with BA/BMI whoopy do, you have just payed 35K for the 1 in 20 chance of getting put forward for some pretty poor T&C's and having to live in London. Anyway next year will be interesting with BA as I think the current handbag fight with CC will change alot of things.

Most of the jobs on that list are with companys that don't care where you did your training. So you have exactly the same chance as someone trained elsewhere except they payed 35k less than you did.

We shall see