PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QL to QF's new recruitment process
View Single Post
Old 20th Jan 2007, 09:51
podbreak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Douglas Mcdonnell
Pod Break. To answer you question. Yes I have been involved in c&t both here and overseas. In no way have I stated that cadets are bad multi crew operators. Your view that they are "extemely proficient" is correct when all is going to script. Much ike some Asian operators o/s. If its on the green/pink line all is ok.The troubles usually begin when the work load increases. As most older operators know,sometimes to function as a "proficient " multi crew working as an unsupervised individual is required.Of course once the job is done then coming back together as a crew will always be needed. No matter what they drum into you, you just cant buy eperience or put an old head on young shoulders.

One of the common problems that line captains face with cadets is the increased workload associated with a inexperienced F/O. Obviously you dont need to be a cadet to fall into this catagory. The other problem associated with cadets is that they are taking up a seat in an airliner that JOE BLOGS has been busting a gut to get to. Doing the hard yards somewhere in AUS or O/S. For me there is nothing better than seeing the look on a pilots face when he checks out on a jet after years of trying hard in GA. It makes it worth while.

To illustrate my point Id remind you of the Perth 767 incident.
Im out of heres point is a valid one. Eastern is an Airline. Not a cresh!!
They are going to have their work cut out for them!!

Remember if all else fails look out side!!

Cheers DM
OK DM. Let me just point out that at QF the 'overload' factor is constantly visited and revisited in simexs. Ok, to all those who say 'its not the real thing. It isn't. The only time i've experienced a real 'oh sh*t' situation, the 'cadet' has performed. I can therefore vouch for (generalising, obviously, as are a few others) cadets. The particular situation was by no means to script, and I'm pretty sure that makes me a reasonable judge. Cadets are taking up someone elses' seat? SO WHAT! Come on, its not as though others DESERVE it more. You are either good enough or you're not. Don't know which airline you work for, but at QF you don't just become an F/O because you've been there long enough.