PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - OAT (Oxford) - the thread, reborn (Part XXVII)!
Old 19th Jan 2007, 17:05
mad_jock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thats the big secret.

In fact its a universal secret how many pilots are qualifying every year.

They used to provide data in a very hard to read form with no key to what the different headings mean here

Its well over due for this year they did in the past give quite good data but it seems after 2000, which was when the JAR change came along and made it so that there was no difference between an intergrated person license and a modular license. The data dried up.

The caa could very easily produce data with how many Intergrated students qualify a year in total and how many modular.

They could also tell you how many intial type ratings are supplied to UK JAR pilots.

But they won't because its commercially sensitive. I wonder why?

I suspect that there is something like 9 courses running a year with 25 people on them. The current students at OAT won't tell you either.

The data from OAT is a bit miss leading as well because the people who got jobs are not only from this year. It is also not only Intergrated students which they list. It is anyone who has any training at all with OAT that they have found out that they have got a job. So if you did modular ground school with them and they find out you got a job you will be put down as a OAT success story.

Because of the time taken to train a pilot from scratch and the cost the airlines rely on a over supply of fresh CPL/IR holders. It means they can react to a boom in 3 months instead of 2 years if they had to train you from scratch.

So I am quite sure that as well as the schools the airlines won't want the real state of play being known to the people thinking about a career.