PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Easy Jet - Emergency landing into John Lennon, Liverpool
Old 18th Jan 2007, 18:35
anotherthing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bearcat -

It really is all down to semantics. I will amplify my earlier reply to Shaggy for you - declaring a PAN is an emergency action. It can be for fuel, sick pax, malfunction and a whole host of reasons. The reason you call the PAN is an amplification (required so us ATCOs can help you appropriately). Therefore calling a PAN due to low fuel state is a fuel emergency.... I do not think that Shaggy will have ANY argument with this.

I believe, and I am sure Shaggy will correct me if I am interpereting his/her posts wrong that what they mean by "there is no such thing as a fuel emergency" is harking back to the old days when some airlines tried (succesfully for a while) to avoid holding, by asking for a "priority landing due to low fuel".

This achieved, for a while, the required effect, without the need for the pilots to fill in paperwork. Nice little wheeze for them - they get in ahead of the queue and have no questions asked.

To stop this, (in the UK at least), it was declared that fuel priority meant nothing to ATC any longer, and a PAN would be needed at the least for a priority landing. (We have guidelines saying what we can give away depending on wether it is a PAN or MAYDAY i.e. opposite direction landings to duty or non duty runways for MAYDAYs etc etc).

Calling a PAN becomes reportable, i.e. it is an incident, therefore paperwork ensues. This not only stops people from 'pulling a fast one' but when the report is published, it aids learning for other crews/ATC etc etc. It is one piece of the very open, blameless and unique reporting system the UK has, which aids people in the business to learn from other peoples mistakes/experiences.

Therefore, in a way, Shaggy is correct. It really is, all semantics.

Teamilk&sugar -

We
ll, as far as my understanding goes, the only words ATC will need to hear, or indeed accept regarding fuel emergencies and to start reacting is "Mayday!"

There is no point in declaring a "Pan" as requesting a priority approach due low fuel means nothing to ATC. A Mayday is the only thing that will "get you ahead of the queue".
you are sooo wrong about ATC responses I am afraid - a PAN or MAYDAY will get pilots priority, just different levels. A PAN will get at the very least, a priority, no delay (under normal circumstances) approach. Before you ask me the same question you asked zkdli 3 posts above, the answer is YES.