PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Global Warming; should I still go ahead with training?
Old 18th Jan 2007, 08:03
scroggs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kerosine, I really don't care whether you like what I say or not. I moderate this forum for the benefit of the majority who will use it as intended - as a source of information to fuel their research. I do not do it to make myself popular, particularly with young people who feel that they are owed something by Pprune or by me.

This facility is here because old farts like me put in the effort to provide it. Unlike the schools, we do not provide glossy brochures full of meaningless marketing speak. Neither do we promise you that everything will be ok, and that all you have to do is get a licence and you'll be provided with a high-paying job. Instead, we give you the truth, with every wart on view.

Part of that truth is that this is a hard world, and a hard profession, which requires intelligence, initiative, determination, resourcefulness and resilience to enter and survive in. People who just want a nice time won't get very far, and people who aren't very bright (whether or not they have a sackful of qualifications) are wasting their time. It's better that they know that before they spend up to £100,000 of their, or their parents', money.

I will encourage those who display the qualities needed in this job - or at least don't display those that are not needed! I will not encourage those who show through their posts that they are not yet (and may never be) ready to join it. Why should I?

Scroggs