PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Global Warming; should I still go ahead with training?
Old 17th Jan 2007, 10:42
BSD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
UKPPLC, I thought I'd have a look and see if you've posted your thoughts. I'd be keen to read them after you've read the advice you have received, it must be bewildering. I hope it has been helpful.

roll_over, you accuse the respondents of doubting the posters maturity. Please read again my post. In my opening paragraph I commend him for having the maturity to seek advice in order to make an informed decision.

MAD Boom, whoa there! please don't round on WWW. Whilst he did fire a considerable broadside, he makes points which need thinking about.

From my perspective in an airline which is probably still recruiting, I have to tell you the the pilots we give jobs too are all "stand-out characters"

Incredibly smart, often with not just one degree, sometimes a second, with PHDs not uncommon. They are personable, a delight to fly with, and spend time with, mature and often coming into flying as a second career. At interview they do just that - stand out!

WWW's point is simple; we don't take people just because they have been given a licence. His reference to sentence construction, and grammar points out a possible shortcoming in education, qualifications, background, C.V., which may make it difficult to obtain a job in a decent company with decent salary, conditions, and working practices. Those "stand-out characters" may well snaffle the top spots.

This is a tough world, and nowadays you have got to be the best you can be. I think some of the reasonable replies to UKPPLC have touched on that point.

Lastly, remember it is not just global warming, whether it exists or not. Consider other factors, the economy, the public's disposable income. The cost, and possible future scarcity of oil supplies. The future tax climate. Will it all foster the contnued growth that we wish for our industry, and at the end of the day, will your sums add up?

Many of us have had fine careers. I sincerely wish the same good fortune to the pilots who will take my place.

UKPPLC, whilst I wish you well with your decision, don't be scared to delay, go to university, get a darned good degree which will stand you in good stead for a future in a desperately uncertain business, and then look at your decision again.

Then, I believe you will also be a "stand-out character"

Cheers,

BSD.