PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Global Warming; should I still go ahead with training?
Old 17th Jan 2007, 07:52
Sagey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For the last two decades industries that are deemed polluters have had to deal with some form or the other of taxation, whether that is a tradable quota system or direct taxation, which ultimately is passed onto the consumer.

One of the reasons why the first post was humourous, in my opinion anyway, is that it demonstrated considerable naivity into what exactly is the aviation industry for governments and the economy.

Aviation to an economy is not simply about BA Plc etc, nor is it about the cost of x,y,z flight of an airline. The aviation industry generates billions of pounds in business and tourism for the United Kingdom. If you want the economics, it effectively boosts aggregrate demand. Jobs in this country are dependent indirectly on the airline industry, the industry after all connects the World. London is one of the world's major financial centres, obliviate the airline industry through taxation and London starts to become less competitive. If you don't believe me, try and find some statistics at how much international businesses spend and invest in London, look at how much US tourists alone spend in the UK.

Additionally, London is the world's equity market and due to Sarbanes Oxley in the US, international companies from around the world are flocking to London. How do advisors, such as lawyers, accountants, brokers, book runners and pr advisors attract companies to London and generate their fees<?>, they hop on an aircraft, travel abroad and pitch to these companies about the benefits of London.

Don't be fooled by sensationalist headlines.

S