PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Commander's Discretion, and then some!
View Single Post
Old 16th Jan 2007, 00:16
404 Titan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CRWCRW

Ok I have checked the official FDP for that flight. As is turns out it was infact 19:34 hrs so yes it was over the official extended FDP of 19:15 hrs by 19 mins. In saying that one should also re-read the relevant section of Vol 1. It states:
24.5 The maximum FDP permitted using Commander’s Discretion will be calculated by adding three hours to the maximum allowable Standard FDP. On ULR Operations or in the event that the Standard FDP has already been extended by the use of either In-Flight Relief or Split Duty then the maximum that can be added is two hours. These three and two hour extensions may only be exceeded in an emergency. In this respect, an emergency is a situation which, in the judgement of the aircraft Commander, presents a serious risk to the health and/or safety of crew and/or passengers, or endangers the lives of others. (My bolding)
As the average temperature in Winnipeg this month has been a daily high of about -20°C and daily low of about -30°C and no one being dressed or packed for such cold conditions and accommodation most likely being very limited, including in the terminal, I would suggest the Captain has made a very good call to continue. In which case he has complied with the intent of the AFTL’s.