PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair Flight Booked 5th Jan- Increased Tax - Confused......
Old 15th Jan 2007, 21:11
gdiphil

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A political point

I sometimes wonder if it is me who is going mad, or the politicians. We all accept with greater or lesser amount of grumbles the amount of tax we have to pay. But, to have to pay a retrospective tax really gets my goat. Then I get to thinking about the political sanity of the individual who has imposed this and who also expects to be the next Prime Minister without being voted into the job by the electorate. Presumably he wants to get the job again at the next general election but he seems to have done the one thing which can offend everyone, that is, tax pleasure. I don't mean flying itself of course, but the fact that a lot of us these days use our remaining net income to enjoy ourselves by buying a cheap flight/holiday or indeed an expensive one. And now it is firmly implanted in our psyche that we will have to, and indeed in the future may be hit again, to pay a tax which is unexpected and undesired. And what is more we are brought into conflict with the other party to our contract by an outsider demanding that we alter our relationship. Now, is this the action of someone who is sane, who should be exercising political acumen? Or is this man a fool from a political standpoint? In my wilder mad moments I find myself as the greatest supporter of the Scottish National Party and their desire for Scotland to be independent. It is a Scotsman who has imposed the strangest and clearly the most aggravating way of ensuring our safety in airports and on aircraft. And it is Scotsman who is seizing money on an poorly thought through eco-scam. But I'm only an Englishman and what do I matter these days?