PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flyglobespan: Time To Make A Stand
View Single Post
Old 15th Jan 2007, 13:38
Bongo Bill

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flyglobespan: Time To Make A Stand

Dear Fellow Flyglobspan Crew Members:

I am writing this on Pprune so that we can organise collective action against the gross infraction of the rules laid down in CAP 371 by Flyglobespan management. I would also like to highlight their questionable policies with regards to crew welfare and ask the question: which school of airline management does that come from?

As you all know, our senior management, with one exception, come from a shorthaul back ground in airlines that our not exactly well known for their standards. They have no experience running a large and expanding longhaul airline, with the different challenges that presents. It is time they got the message that they are not running an airline with 2 B737's that can be organised on the back of a fag packet.

I am sick of our company's flagrant disregard for our welfare and disrespect for the regulations which our competitors in the airline world must comply with. We must rise against this and work together to get the message accross that things cannot continue the way they are. The shining example of this abuse of the rules is the new scheduled minimum rest Cape Town flight.

Not only that, I would ask the question: How much does it cost to train a new pilot to the airline, whether experienced or not? This cost would include, ground school, simulator time, circuits, sectors etc. Is it really more economical to create a training airline with high staff turnover than to create an airline where the staff feel valued and wish to serve out their careers. Of course it isn't! Otherwise all the large successful airlines would be doing it, however, they have learned that in the long run it just costs more money having unhappy staff.

This of course means that they will struggle to find quality pilots in the future and may find themselves with an aircraft uncrewed on the ground or in the news because of an incident. How economical will that be?

So friends, how shall we make our stand together to fight the "Evil Empire" (sorry couldn't resist that).

First: We are rostered a report time of 1 hour before STD. Let us all report for our North Atlantic and ETOPS flights exactly one hour before departure, and see what happens to the on time performance figures.

Second: We must refuse to work on our days off until such a time as the co-operation and flexibility is a two way street.

Third: We must make sure that we receive our legal in-flight rest in the way in which is laid down in Part A. That does not mean a singular Economy seat in full view of the passengers. That means two curtained off Business class seats or a bunk bed. (An in-flight massage would be nice but not a deal breaker :-)

Fourth: We must insist that we receive our minimum rest in the hotel, not in a baggage hall, minibus, standing outside a terminal.

Fifth: Discretion will become just that, Discretion, and will not be exercised carte blanche as a planning tool for the company.

Sixth: Refuse to share hotel rooms with your colleagues. I like you guys...but NOT that much.

Seventh: Insist on seperate rooms for yourself and the remainder of the crew when coming back from the ridiculous Toronto duty where we operate out and position back.

Eigth: Refuse to do any positioning that involves multi sectors and exceeds 12 hours on the grounds of human rights.

These are my thoughts on how we can withdraw our co-operation until such a time as it is not abused by the company. I would also suggest that we must get the ball rolling with regards to union representation as soon as possible. I have heard that the IPF are second largest next to Balpa and less expensive. Another option is the TGWU. Please let us discuss which is the best option and then move forward, together, to make our voices heard within the company.

I welcome your replies on anything else that we can do to change the airline for the better.

Safe Flying

P.S Please complain loudly to the contract agency.