PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying into busy airports
View Single Post
Old 13th Jan 2007, 13:58
danielcork1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flying into busy airports

hello everyone
i have a couple of questions, but as they're kinda related i tought i'd best consolidate them into the one.
Firstly, for the flight crew, what is it like flying into a large international airport such as JFK/ LHR? Is flying into a large international hub much more strenuos and stressful than flying into a small regional airport? Are ops into and out of supesairports like O'Hare very difficult and would they be given only to the most senior captains?
Second question I wanted to ask: I was flying from JFK-SNN last week with EI. The inbound flight really got beaten back by headwinds and ended up arriving something like 45 mins past its ETA. This was followed by a slow turnaround complicated by the fact that they had problem loading the baggage onto the aircraft. As we taxied out onto 4L we suddenly stopped, it didn't seem as if we were on any major taxiway and for 30mins the plane was just sitting there! Eventually with no explanation we moved off and within a few minutes we were airborne. Would this be a case of the aircraft losing its slot at JFK? If so, isn't it unfair that planes get punished for a delay that was beyond their control (i.e the winds)?
Sorry for the ridiculousy long post ill try to keep it short in future!