PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - WINGS AND CS95 - Please help!
View Single Post
Old 12th Jan 2007, 21:43
threepointonefour

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having 'been there' on a certain black & silver squadron when we started the wearing of aircrew leather jackets, flouting the dress regs and being banned by the Stn Cdr at Valley while on MPC, I feel I must stand up for the rather rotund Leon Jabberwocky.

Surely the air officer's dress should be impeccable if they insist we all adhere to a core standard? God knows he has about 4 minions to sort this stuff out for him? I know nothing about 'jointery' (other than it is a made up word) and the dress regs therein, nor do I care.

Some years ago I was at a senior officers briefing on the introduction of the new WSO branch and brevet. He declared that the RAF would fall in line with the americans in re-naming our navigators as WSOs ... this was much more descriptive of the role and emminently sensible in his opinion. When a wag (pilot) at the back suggested that we should go the whole hog and give all aircrew 2 wings, with a differentiator in the middle, said senior officer (& Harrier pilot) just about imploded. So forgive my cynicism, but I think the only people who really give a toss are those in the middle, who can make a name for themselves one way or another.

As an aside, SD hats and CS95 DO NOT GO TOGETHER, whatever twisted officer viewpoint you may have - a chip bag is a much more discerning alternative, one where you neither look like a prat nor a grunt.

And as you know Leon, I could never begin to answer your question as I've never had any idea about things like that.

Interesting side debate ...

Does it matter what you're wearing after being shot down? Your aircraft lies smouldering some 1 nm away, you're in a flight suit and the helmet nearby is a suspiciously reasonable fit (squipper dependent!). I'm with Leon here - most grunts capturing you may do little more than rough you up for fear of damaging 'the goods' if they know you're aircrew, as they may get into trouble for lessening the ransom demand.

There is no answer to this - only that I really think it makes no difference whatsoever whether you wear wings on your CS95 or flight suit in an operational zone. The only comment could be that the white could stand out too much - in which case a return to the black on green would be fine.