PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bigger airports kicking out General Aviation!
Old 12th Jan 2007, 13:50
Hampshire Hog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As with so many things, why can't we British manage what other countries seem to without a fuss (or enormous charges)?

Many EU countries mix GA and commercial traffic without a problem, whilst one of my club instructors who used to teach in the USA was telling me about flying a SEP into New York Kennedy - where he was treated to a landing fee that was so cheap it would put most UK regionals to shame + 2 hours free parking (imagine that at LHR!)

What really bugs me is the attitude of the controllers spreads out from the airport. Solent have gained a real reputation for poor service to GA, whilst along the coast Bournemouth is really helpful. Now, Southampton has become busier over the last couple of years - and they have effectively kicked out GA from the airport, but it is no Heathrow or Gatwick and I cannot see any reason why Solent Radar should behave so miserably towards us.

I transited the Luton zone a while ago - now that's a really busy area - and they couldn't have been more helpful.

HH