PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bigger airports kicking out General Aviation!
Old 12th Jan 2007, 13:25
GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Single Spey

You will be pleased to know that it's many years since I shuffled the flying machines. You are, of course, right that "Slow moving, verbose GA pilots are a fact of life". I was merely pointing out that they don't always endear themselves to a busy controller on a busy frequency. Having to ask "say again" because the, often nervous, SEP driver gabbled out his text book transmission so fast that it was unreadable doesn't help. Assuming that he wants to leave your Class A (Rule 22, then) airspace at Buxton when what he said sounded like Barton is not a good idea. The Controller who sounds calm and helpful (because to sound otherwise just makes matters worse) can feel wound up like a watch spring inside.

As an aeroplane owner, I too feel concern about the way the bigger aerodromes are pricing us out. I also feel that there is a case for charging at a variable rate. Discouraging GA traffic during, say, the mid-week teatime rush may have merit; but the charges for the Sunday afternoon siesta time must be fair and reasonable. The solution to everything in our wonderful Country is to price everything to the maximum the "market" can stand. That applies to car parks, public transport, licences and permits for this that and the other, you name it. A further consideration, now, is that any aerodrome that can't immediately satisfy its financial targets will soon be able to get instant Planning Permission for high profit housing. There is also the mind-set of, if you can afford to own an aeroplane and to fly it, you can afford to pay over the odds.