PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - When does volunteering become “working for free”
Old 11th Jan 2007, 21:41
Lefthanded_Rock_Thrower

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PB,
Trolling through PPrune you'll frequently see pilots complaining about poor conditions, not being paid correctly, being "forced" to fly unservicable aircraft, generally being treated like crap. Have you put any thought into why this happen ?, the answer in short is because idiots with pilots licences work for free or are willing to work for ten dollars a day less than the guy before him.

"Where have I been" you ask, i work in GA in australia, i have always worked in GA. I have never ever worked for less than i'm entitled too, that has caused me to be unemployed in aviation for a period of about 18 months during the past ten years, purely because i would not work for crap.

I get paid a salary presently, as a pilot, being a pilot includes, paper work, wiping down oleo's, greeting customers etc etc, if you are stupid enough to have accepted a poor paying job, either live with it or grows some conjones and do something about it.

None of what i have said is in reference to a not for profit organisation.

Pilotads,

CP's vary, but generally they have been around the industry longer than the applicants they are vetting, so logically they have a fair idea which operations are legitimate and which are not, its not hard to look in your logbook and work it out.

Some CP's will not give a rats if you have worked for free, these guys are a minority.

An example: a few years ago i was the CP of a GA company, a young pilot rang one day to follow up a resume he emailed, i noticed on his resume where he was flying and easily worked out for who, i dressed him down about flying for free, even though this operator was making a tonne of money from his flying.

He gave me a list as long as your arm of Pathetic reasons why he was "working for free", i need the hours, it's a good aircraft to have hours in blah blah blah.

As you can guess he was told he would not be considered as his experience was not relevant and people like him cause the demise of employment conditions in Australian GA, he burst into tears, apparently i was the fourth person to tell him to sod off and working for free is the actions of a scumbag, ignore my adive if you like, welcome to the real world where people have families to feed and mortgages to pay.

Last edited by Lefthanded_Rock_Thrower; 11th Jan 2007 at 22:19.