PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Job opportunities for low-timers.
View Single Post
Old 11th Jan 2007, 17:58
Apollo24

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why?

Pay for Type Ratings! Is this still going on? I thought Europe has a pilot shortage?
Guys you are selling your selves short. That's why you get the poor treatment from the operators and FTO's, see DanFly and RYR posts. You pay 150.000-225.000 SEK or whatever it costs to get a job flying an MD80/B737 that in turn pays you 14,000SEK/month(Nordic. RYR might be more. ). Don't forget the 40,000SEK for the 3 takeoff and landings that is taken from your paycheck the first 4 months. That leaves you with.........? My math isn't the best, but I get 4,000SEK/month. How does one survive on this?
I can actually understand those who pay for a B737 type to get a job with South West Airlines for 7000 USD(50,000SEK), being that this is a career move with salaries of 50,000 USD(1st year) and over 100,000 USD after the 3rd year as an FO. I still don't agree with the SFTR (self funded TypeRating), but 7000 dollars is much less than 150,000 SEK and you work for a great company, not a small operation that might be out of business in a year.
These companies don't hire the best candidate, but the cheapest. The person who costs the least. This is a frightening trend, both for our profession and for safety. Don't buy into the "if I don't do it, someone else will" mentality. These operators will hire pilots without SFTR's when the supply dries up. They will then hire the best candidate for the job(be it by experience or trainability). Don't we as professionals owe that to the travelling public?

Take care fly safe.