PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bigger airports kicking out General Aviation!
Old 11th Jan 2007, 15:43
Slopey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As a recent PPL, I'm so disappointed with the attitude towards GA in the UK. Having done my training last year in sunny FL the can do, go anywhere, municipal airports all over the place, general attitude towards GA was idyllic.
Back in blighty - the attitude seems to be *humph*, can't do or no go.

And up in the NE of Scotland - there's only Aberdeen, Dundee, Inverness - we're not blessed with many airports as it is - if Inverness locks GA out then it's one less place to go - there's no where else up there at the moment except Dornoch.

I was planning on flying up to Inverness quite a bit over the next 3 years for work - I may well have to suffer that damn road instead Either that or it's back to America!

You'd think in this day and age that airports might like a friend in the form of GA - the general populous get to fly from the airport on pleasure/training flights, which builds the profile of anotherwise brick wall organisation, demistifies the world of aviation - and maybe next time they want to extend the runways the GA mob would weigh in and support the airfield etc. Getting the public a bit more sympathetic about aviation matters would be no bad thing.

And I pity all the training organisations which will be/have been forced out of decent airports - no wonder most people head to the US these days.