PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - When does volunteering become “working for free”
Old 11th Jan 2007, 06:04
ContactMeNow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If a PPL engages in PJE, does the pilot have to "cost share"???

If your parachute operator says they are not making money on tandems, here is the math...

Tandem $300/each

$600 revenue for the flight
0.5hrs Airswitch time for a C182 being crosshired out at around $150/hr dry
Fuel 0.5hrs @ 50L/hr @ $1.50/litre
Tandem masters pay = $40/tandem

Costs:
$75 - aircraft
$37 - Avgas
$80 - tandem masters
$15 - landing fees
$20 - Packing
$ 207 - Total COST of direct operation costs
$393 - Profit and indirect operating costs

Now if they wanted a DVD of their tandem jump add $80 ($40 of which go to the tandem masters and $5-$10 to the video mixer)

With these figures it IS POSSIBLE to have the plane go up and down with just one tandem on the C182. Sortie times will be less same with fuel costs.

Yes I do understand that advertising, Marketing, company minibus, rent, rates, etc will all add to the cots of operation, but when you think about it from "walk in to walk out" a tandem operation from 10,000' takes 60-90mins (depending if they have a video/DVD or not), multiply this by 10 tandem bookings a day (5 loads) and 10 tandems on a nice summers day is nothing! you have your self a nice $1800 plus per day operation or a C182 that is grossing $1200/hr....

Now even if you take out $30 per tandem for advertising costs etc, you still have a nice profitable operation

But your boss cant afford to pay you.....

If you want better figures send me a PM, I did them a few days into my 1st job and then showed the boss, few days later I was getting paid! Im sure they wont miss $40/hr or $20/load. It is also common for parachute operations to have the pilot stay on base or close to it, work something out with your boss about rent and wages...Most single pilot operations cant afford to have their pilot walk out on them, so the boss will treat you more like an "asset", if not im sure he can see the HUGE line at the front door for all CPLs wanting to fly for them...NOT!!!!! they all wanna get paid too....

It didnt take long for me to change the mentality of my boss, so maybe its worth having a good chat with them anyway about it......

All the best
CMN