PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 18 week Fast Track CPL course
View Single Post
Old 10th Jan 2007, 08:32
bushy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Currency

I was once a ppl, and after the initial burst of enthusiastic flying, found it hard to find the money to fly often, and keep current. Enthusiasm waned. I was probably an accident going somewhere to happen, like many uncurrent weekend warriors are. Fortunately a friendly flying instructor told me so, and I set out to change this.
Many of todays cpls, have been struggling for years to finance their flying and get their licence. They are often out of their depth when they start their first job, lacking experience and currency. The workload is more than they can easily handle. We see aircraft taxiing with baggage compartment doors left open, Chieftains taxiing with flipper doors open etc. Most need a friendly environment to work in, and simpler, more predictable flights to build up experience and confidence.
The 18 week course probably has merit as it introduces a pilot to the workload he is likely to experience in his first job, The consistent flying will build confidence and situational awareness that is obviously lacking in many newbies. I believe it is also the best learning arrangement you can get.
I think that the character and attitude of a pilot is far more important than the detail of his training course. If he takes it all seriously he will achieve.
It's the "get rich quick" people who are the problem.
You have to earn it.