PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The CTC Wings (Cadets) Thread - Part 2.
View Single Post
Old 9th Jan 2007, 09:07
2close

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Dragonfly,

I think you will find the clarity needed to move from the grey area into the black and white in The Employment Equality (Age) Regulations 2006 - Age Discrimination.

Did I actually make that claim - 'UK law' and 'black and white' in the same sentence?

Regulation 7 makes it unlawful for employers to implement any conditions on employment in relation to age and that includes the arrangements made for determining to whom employment shold be offered. This could make it difficult for potential employers to utilise 'middle-men' to impose conditions that would filter the employee stream

Regulation 20 is quite explicit regarding vocational training:

"20.—(1) It is unlawful, in relation to a person seeking or undergoing training, for any training provider to discriminate against him—"

and it goes on with the various parameters but I think you get the gist.

What I find really interesting is Regulation 19, regarding Qualifications Bodies, e.g. Aviation Authorities which offer professional licences. This time the discrimination is flip-flopped and youth becomes the issue. OK, feet on the ground, there aren't going to be many people younger than 18 wanting a CPL or younger than 21 wanting an ATPL but it is interesting that no exemptions have been introduced within the legislation.

Saying all the above, nevertheless, this is new legislation and it will be a while before it settles - there have been amendments already. I am interested to see which way the bed will be made on this occasion.

Cheers,

2close