PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Winches on Police/Airambulance helis?
View Single Post
Old 8th Jan 2007, 09:57
[email protected]

Received 623 Likes on 271 Posts
So where do you draw the line when you have a winch fitted to an air ambulance (I am ignoring any special ops type winching the police may or may not want to do)?
Given that you are very unlikely to remain SSE when winching for real, how does this sit against the present requirement for Cat A performance when carrying a casualty?
When will the limited training given to the crews prove to be insufficient for a job they decide to attempt? And given the limited training, how will they recognise a job that is beyond their capabilities.
Will the paramedics want to be exposed to the additional and very real risks of being winched in and out of difficult areas?
Winching is straightforward when everything is going in your favour - the training is needed so you can cope when it is not - why else do a conversion to type or a base and line check? If an aircraft works as advertised it is easy to fly but who would be happy with that level of competence when your life depends on the crew?
I am not being overly defensive of SAR but rather concerned that a simplistic view of what can be a difficult and hazardous procedure (even by day overland) will lead AA operators to take on jobs they are not adequately prepared for.

TC my point was the number of paramedics able to work in the back on the casualty and the ease with which it can be achieved.