PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cathay Management Captain fails to remove gear pin!
Old 14th Aug 2001, 13:40
Notso Fantastic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Something over 20 years ago we took off from HKG at night and couldn't get one of the legs up on a Classic (BA). Not very nice going out through the gap at night, but who said the job was easy? After an hour, we gave up and landed back to find a wire coat hangar in the lock. The Ground Engineers had changed a wheel and substituted a coat hangar and forgotten to remove it. The F/E missed it 10 feet up buried under the wing in the dark. I subsequently found HE was held redponsible, and his subsequent interview involved a lot of shouting and throwing of books, and the implicit threat that that was his last life and any further incidents would involve dismissal. So it is plain to me that it shows where the responsibility lies, and on aircraft without F/Es, that responsibility must devolve to the Captain, who has shown himself to be a simpering toad who should be sacked and join his many colleagues on the unemployment line! Sadly the F/E died a few years later- RIP Brian my friend- management pilots are sent to try us!