PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Winches on Police/Airambulance helis?
View Single Post
Old 7th Jan 2007, 20:21
[email protected]

Received 623 Likes on 271 Posts
Whilst I can understand why some police operators might need the extra capability for unusual situations I cannot see how any Air Ambulance can justify this step. When they can provide 24 hour cover then maybe a potential enhancement might be a winch but for the very few occasions when it might be useful I cannot see how they could justify the extra costs involved. After all, lots of hard working volunteers help to raise the cash to keep them in the air - are they going to be happy with that cash being frittered on providing a capability that already exists - and yes I am taking about SAR helicopters here.

Ambulance controls are still reluctant to call a SAR helo even when it is obvious winching will be required and often the patient is left suffering for far longer than neccessary whilst the land ambulance arrives, then the air ambulance and then finally when the casualty can't be recovered someone bothers with the ARCC. The capability is there but doesn't get used quickly enough, or at all in some cases so spending more money equipping AAs with winches is pointless........unless someone is trying to take over the SAR world........