PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Winches on Police/Airambulance helis?
View Single Post
Old 7th Jan 2007, 17:10
MINself

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by [email protected]
I hear a rumour that one or more police or air ambulance operators are planning to fit winches to their aircraft.
My questions are 1 Why? and
2. When will it be used and by whom?
Well....

1: So a suitably trained crew can winch when you can't land

&

2: So a suitably trained crew can winch when you can't land

these 2 questions are a bit broad but why does anyone want to winch?

If this is true then a winch equiped police or air ambulance helicopter would give these units an option when you can't land. Playing devil's advocate for a moment, a winch might be a useful tool if an air ambulance could not land near to a patient if they are located in a wood or on the side of a cliff, the paramedic could winch down to then deliver immediate medical care, but as for whether they would then both get winched back up to the helicopter, that would depend on a million things.

This won't IMHO replace the conventional UK SAR but enhance it when these few aircraft are tied up or if one of these non-SAR winch equiped aircraft is better placed to respond to an incident.

The New Zealand, Westpac air ambulance service already operate some of their aircraft (BK117s) with winches fitted. I suppose its like anything in aviation its only a good idea if the need is matched by its use and on that time will tell.

Sometimes change can upset other peoples apple carts

Geting back behind hard cover now