PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Big piston displays - what do you want?
View Single Post
Old 7th Jan 2007, 14:30
FB11

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Firstly, thank you all for engaging so fully. Your comments in the main mirror the general thoughts I have when I get the briefest of moments at an airshow to watch other displays. I'm sure you'll all be able to pick out your bit at the shows.

Secondly, your general feelings about safety and aircraft preservation are understandable and I'd like to reassure you that:

1. RNHF aircrew are here for the aircraft and not the other way around.
2. We have learned the hardest of lessons when we lost 2 people and the aircraft at Duxford. That sequence of events will not be allowed to happen again.
3. Following on from that, we are very lucky to be flying such an outrageously capable piston. Even though we operate the engine during display at a conservative preservation power setting, it's ample to show the real dynamics/power/sound/sensation of the ultimate(?) piston engined multi-role aircraft. Most importantly, there is a significant reserve of power available to help with those rare, unforeseen occasions when the left hand lever needs to be pushed carefully forward to help avoid an awkward scenario.
4. In spite of what has so sadly befallen others, the genesis of the Sea Fury and indeed any RNHF aircraft display is one that has us firmly in the middle of the flight envelope and the pilot's capabilities, with the lowest common denominator being the baseline.

To pick up on a few specifics:

Beagle - agree with your formation comments entirely. Have a look at the Seafire/Corsair/Fury formation picture on http://www.royalnavyhistoricflight.org.uk/home.htm and scroll down the page.
Saman/Flying Lawyer - I'm sure the new season display arrival won't disappoint.
Beagle/Flying Lawyer - How about we do a Shuttleford display? Or a Duxforth? Hopefully best of both, none of the stress or straight and level.
Forget - I promise not to abuse my old lady.
All of you - Centaurus noise. I've got it.