PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - For MAS Pilots ONLY Pt.2
View Single Post
Old 23rd Nov 2001, 16:19
OldAce999

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Marcellus Wallace:

You keep repeating “So there's more to it than what has been discussed here” but had not tell us what it is.

Those of us who had sat the CPL & ATPL in Malaysia before 1976 were recognized by the CAA for issue of a British ATPL provided we sit for extra papers like UK Air Law etc.

In the 70’s and 80’s there were some Malaysian pilots who wanted to convert their license to UK ATPL and was told to resit for the whole papers in UK all over again as the Malaysian ATPL was not recognized even though the exams papers and the marking came from UK when they sat for their exams in Malaysia.

So those of you here who claimed to have a UK ATPL are just full of horse****, unless you passed the ATPL in Malaysia before 1976.

Marcellus Wallace I hope that you are not one of those in the new generation who we find climbing on the transport and sitting across the aisle who do not bother to say Hi or Hello to the senior pilots sitting next to you(it's not to say we’re hardup for it). Except putting on a grumpy face with your brand new shiny 4 bar epaulet. I guess you are the lucky ones who joined in the early 90’s who had not been through the mills during the rapid expansion. Well time will catch up with you….mark my words.

Marcellus Wallace says: "those days..." Can you imagine cockpit conversation starting with those 2 words? Glad I was never on the B744”

We are more than a generation apart. In the old days what is important is communication and however reserved the old British Captains were we try to get along with him so that we can get as much knowledge and his experiences which are not written in books. So on nite-stops we take the initiative to call him for B’fast,Lunch,Dinner or whatever, a practice that is very lacking today. That communication is still valid today for good working relation and safety.

There will always be “those days” as those days when you are on a Base Check on a real aircraft the instructor will shut down an engine on you after V1 and woe betide the pilot who shut down the good engine on his drill. His reputation will go down the drains for many years to come.

Whatever it is, these old farts had flown for almost 40 years with no major accident in the Malaysian Airline. Let see whether these young Turks of the nineties can do better. Only time will tell.

[ 23 November 2001: Message edited by: OldAce999 ]