PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Another Aircraft off the Runway at BRS?
View Single Post
Old 7th Jan 2007, 10:30
TCAS FAN

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am somewhat bemused by the inference that grooving of the runway surface is apparently going to cure the "slippery when wet" problem.
As with any newly laid asphalt surface, there is an initial problem of a certain amount of oil in the asphalt mix coming to the surface. This should in time disperse.
Any initial concern should be, is the asphalt spec' correct? Presumably an experienced and reputable contractor has been employed, so who is overseeing quality control? Is there a problem there?
I would hope that BRS have been frequently assessing surface friction during the overlay project, when did the "slippery when wet" NOTAM go out, before or after the runway excursion?
I flew regularly off the SOU runway while it was being re-surfaced. No problems at all. The airport regularly checked friction readings and never got near "slippery when wet". They then took an apparently good draining runway and grooved it without ensuring that water in the grooves could drain away, hopefully BRS will not make that mistake.
The end result is that water sits in the grooves, is thrown up by inspecting vehicles and the runway reported wet five hours after rain has ceased! The resultant weight penalty for a wet runway has cost SOU thousands of pounds in lost revenue due to diversions by B737/B757/MD83s who were not expecting a wet runway, and were consequently too heavy to land on the LDA available.
Going back to the ability of grooves to drain, if they don't drain, water sitting in them can freeze, expand and you end up with a corrugated runway surface. I've seen it happen twice at SOU, resulting in all morning flights being cancelled until the ice melts.
Good luck BRS!