PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Big piston displays - what do you want?
View Single Post
Old 7th Jan 2007, 09:56
treadigraph
Gnome de PPRuNe

Received 299 Likes on 167 Posts
I might be flying in the face of some of the other opinions here slightly, but please bear with me...

One of the best Sea Fury displays I ever saw was Brian Sanders in the R3350 powered Argonaut (sibling of the monster R4360 powered Dreadnought) at Chino. The display ended with a shallow dive in from around 8000ft if I recall and an absolutely sizzling low pass at a speed which I suspect surpassed the fastest laps Argonaut has ever achieved at Reno. The crowd line at Chino is far closer to the action than that at Reno, so the sound of the engine and airflow, and the sight, fleeting though they were are ingrained on my memory.

Now I don't know what your operating limits are and I know the Centaurus is not considered quite as robust or easy to find spares for as the R3350, but I think a nice high speed entrance is a must to show people what the ultimate British piston fighter can do. Top-side passes along the length of the crowd line are required for the photographers and I don't mind gentle aerobatics, though having witnessed two of the accidents BEagle mentions above I do feel a bit uneasy whenever I see an aircraft appearing to make high-ish G pullouts, or getting very slow over the top of vertical manoeuvers...

Main thing is stay safe; and you are excused any high speed entrance at venues where large flocks of seabirds might get in on the act!

Cheers

Treadders

Last edited by treadigraph; 7th Jan 2007 at 10:25. Reason: Fingers like hams on the keyboard...