PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Collective Colour Vision Thread 3
View Single Post
Old 5th Jan 2007, 21:18
Bealzebub

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"true when they lower the intensity of the lantern, instead of bright and intense colours... you'll see fake colours!!! a greenish red, a reddish green and so on.... I'm really thinking that the CAA tries to stop or fail you whenever they can... very sad... "

What an absolutely ridiculous comment that the CAA try to fail you whenever they can. I have had many involved dealings with the medical division of the CAA over the last 25 years and they have always, always been professional and helpful. There has never been any doubt at all that they will bend over backwards to ensure you retain the medical wherever that is possible. You need to remember that the division is comprised of medical professionals with a great deal of experience in their respective fields and who naturally have a particular focus on its application to the specific field of aviation medicine.

Very recently my son failed his colour vision test based on the Ishihara plates at his class 2 initial medical. An appointment was made for the lantern tests to be conducted at the CAA today, and both he and I are delighted that he passed and had the restriction on his medical certificate removed. However the tests were conducted in a proper manner and whatever the outcome had been a full explanation was offered on conclusion.

Whatever the situation, these are the people to see, as ultimately ( in the UK at least) they will be responsible for the decision to issue the appropriate class of medical certificate. The medical division of the CAA is not Lourdes, nor do they have a magic formulae to elevate all candidates to the required standard, however I am sure they are delighted to be able offer reassurance wherever that is possible and similarly to offer advice to possibly overcome a problem. Nevertheless they are also charged with ensuring standards and inevitably that means some candidates will be disappointed with the results. I am convinced that is an occurence which gives the individual doctor no pleasure at all.