PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bachelor in Aviation?
View Single Post
Old 5th Jan 2007, 13:53
Clive

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dream 747,

I have been reading your posts while on Christmas vacation and thought I should offer some advice – for what it is worth.

Perhaps it is best I share my experience with you....

I too always wanted to fly. I turned down an entry offer to a Bachelor of Science course straight after school and elected to do some odd jobs (delivering newspapers, washing cars, landscaping laborer etc) to get the money to fly. I was so frustrated in that endeavor that I rounded up cash from relatives (that I have since paid back) to get in and do an intensive flight instruction course.

The reason I share the above experience was to let you know that the frustrations of not flying when you are so fixed on the dream means every other activity suffers. Having read your reflections on your schooling years I fear this could happen to you at University. I currently lecture and mark Uni papers of distance education students and can see he difference in quality of those who are already in the workforce.

Back to my experience.... I finished my license, did 4 years in GA as an instructor then was lucky enough to get into a major. I have now been in airlines for around 25 years and have made it to the 747. Some years ago I decided that the airline thing may not last (with the 1989 troubles in Oz for example) so decided to get some “insurance” by studying part time at university. I have now completed a Bachelor of Aviation and a Master of Science (Air Transport Management). The first by distance education in Oz and the latter in London.

Both courses were enjoyable and made a great deal of sense with my airline background. Now as well as my flying career I also lecture part time and have a part time consultancy role for a major Risk and Safety Management Consultancy group in Oz. Great insurance if I wish to hang up the wings.

So my advice.... do what you love first. Get that license. Take any flying job you can. Then think about further education. Follow your dream (which means your heart rather than your head) and your life will be so much more happy and fulfilled.

Good luck.