PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MAM Conditions
Thread: MAM Conditions
View Single Post
Old 4th Jan 2007, 01:46
speedbirdhouse

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Casualization was "sold" as a concept by business to the wider community as a way to manage their labour requirements around the peaks and troughs in the business cycle.
It enables them to put on staff during busy times and put them off during the slow times.
UNTIL HOWARD CHANGED THE RULES business was forced to give contract/casual staff full time positions if the length of their employment extended beyond 12 months as clearly there were positions for them.
This restriction prevented business from doing what it is now.......
Using casualization to avoid the need to provide "first world" terms and conditions to it's staff.
Young people in Australia have so much to lose in the "global labour market" with what is happening at Qantas is just one small example.
The [baby boomer generation] government ministers so hell bent on stripping the conditions from young average workers ALL entered the workforce at a time when the working community had the benefit of FREE university education, 40/38 hour 5 day working weeks, superannuation, holiday pay, long service leave and the like......
I worry that the next generation will have none of these and that their lives will be all the poorer for it.
However I worry more that all they seem to be interested in despite these dangers are big brother, idol and whatever else passes for distraction at the moment......
-------------
Hopefully you and a couple of others get to read my post as I expect it to disappear.