PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PAL Pilot Exodus
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jan 2007, 02:25
Soundbarviolatr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mission Impossible?

Originally Posted by DeltaSix
Hi Skybound0210,

Thanks for the input, that's very helpful info for our US bound countrymen.
They sure can use this.

However, I must have given the wrong impression. When I said "here" I mean't Sydney, Australia ( where I am ).

I know a couple of Filipinos who had student visas to train as pilots getting their Commercial, Multi-Engine Instrument Rating then Flight Instructors rating and eventually passing all 7 ATPL subjects.

They are allowed to work as flight instructors - with pay, but of course subject to visa restrictions in terms of duration but enough to get their career "off the ground " and support themselves independently while building up the hours.

One of them eventually married a UK citizen and he went to the Eu to fly for one of the LCC's. This is at 350 hours ( he had to pay for his 737 TR though ).
The other one as I mentioned went to the Carribean as a twin driver ( BN Islander I think, as a second job ).

As you've pointed out, there seems to be a way as well to train and get experience there in the US but with no employment prospect. At least whoever is thinking of going to the US to train as a pilot is now forewarned.

Hope this helps

D6

It can still be done.