PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PAL Pilot Exodus
View Single Post
Old 1st Jan 2007, 21:51
DeltaSix

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Visas

Originally Posted by Skybound0210
D6,
I think you are referring to the J1 Student Visa. It's a visa that is good for 24 months (2 years), and it allows you to get required training and practical experience. Most schools that offer this visa will often train you for 6 months in order for a student to go from zero hours all the way to his/her FAA CFII/MEI. The remaining 18 months of the visa is for practical experience as a Flight Instructor (no compensation in most schools) in order to build additional hours.
The main purpose of this additional hours is to build total time as to be eligible for the FAA ATPL. It should be understood that the visa is a Non-immigrant visa and therefore after the 24 months is up, you HAVE to leave the country...unless you have changed you status in the U.S., i.e. you have gained Immigrant status (getting married to a U.S. citizen or a legal immigrant, or through job sponsorship "H1 visas").
I wouldn't want to discourage anybody but aviation companies/airlines will often NOT sponsor foreigners because of Labor laws in the U.S.
But the J1 visa is great if you wish to build flight time and not necessarily gain permanent employment in the U.S.
Hi Skybound0210,

Thanks for the input, that's very helpful info for our US bound countrymen.
They sure can use this.

However, I must have given the wrong impression. When I said "here" I mean't Sydney, Australia ( where I am ).

I know a couple of Filipinos who had student visas to train as pilots getting their Commercial, Multi-Engine Instrument Rating then Flight Instructors rating and eventually passing all 7 ATPL subjects.

They are allowed to work as flight instructors - with pay, but of course subject to visa restrictions in terms of duration but enough to get their career "off the ground " and support themselves independently while building up the hours.

One of them eventually married a UK citizen and he went to the Eu to fly for one of the LCC's. This is at 350 hours ( he had to pay for his 737 TR though ).
The other one as I mentioned went to the Carribean as a twin driver ( BN Islander I think, as a second job ).

As you've pointed out, there seems to be a way as well to train and get experience there in the US but with no employment prospect. At least whoever is thinking of going to the US to train as a pilot is now forewarned.

Hope this helps

D6

Last edited by DeltaSix; 1st Jan 2007 at 21:59. Reason: More info