PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PAL Pilot Exodus
View Single Post
Old 1st Jan 2007, 17:38
Skybound0210

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DeltaSix
I understand what you mean but, people with student visa here are allowed to work certain number of hours to support themselves and to enhance skills in their chosen career.
I knew a guy who was on student visa and was allowed to work as a flight instructor here for a couple of years earning him those precious hours. I think he is now working in the Carribean as a twin driver.

If there's a will there's a way.

Hope this helps.

D6
D6,

I think you are referring to the J1 Student Visa. It's a visa that is good for 24 months (2 years), and it allows you to get required training and practical experience. Most schools that offer this visa will often train you for 6 months in order for a student to go from zero hours all the way to his/her FAA CFII/MEI. The remaining 18 months of the visa is for practical experience as a Flight Instructor (no compensation in most schools) in order to build additional hours.

The main purpose of this additional hours is to build total time as to be eligible for the FAA ATPL. It should be understood that the visa is a Non-immigrant visa and therefore after the 24 months is up, you HAVE to leave the country...unless you have changed you status in the U.S., i.e. you have gained Immigrant status (getting married to a U.S. citizen or a legal immigrant, or through job sponsorship "H1 visas").

I wouldn't want to discourage anybody but aviation companies/airlines will often NOT sponsor foreigners because of Labor laws in the U.S.

But the J1 visa is great if you wish to build flight time and not necessarily gain permanent employment in the U.S.