PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Another Aircraft off the Runway at BRS?
View Single Post
Old 31st Dec 2006, 18:24
Iron Duke

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A bit about Lulsgate ... I believe it was origionally designed as a military diversion to RNAS Yeovilton. The logic being that if Yeovil was fogged out with radiation fog then Lulsgate with it's elevated position would be in the clear.
Despite Filton being in every sense a more suitable International Airport (communication, space, big runway, near the city center etc...) it fell foul of noise problems with the juxtaposed housing developments and approach over the city. Lulsgate, with it's relative remoteness sufferred none of these problems and the local authorities put their weight behind its case.
I used to operate orange B737s into BIA regularly and can say that landing on 09 at night in a 30kt X-wind and driving rain is one of the trickiest things that anyone can be called upon to do in our job. (particularly with Boeing wipers!) ... and now if there are serious decelerative problems aswell then something should be done. I am pleased to see that the operators are imposing very sensible local limitations.
Happy New Year to all, and lets hope the weather improves ....

I.Duke