PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Q200 loses wheel at NQY
View Single Post
Old 28th Dec 2006, 17:01
Dash-7 lover

WOW have Dash-8-311's and I believe the generic name for all de Havilland Dash-8's are either Q200/300 or 400 now that its Bombardier- most are fitted with a cabin noise and vibration supression system which isn't all that reliable anyway....;-) and I could never tell the difference!
Yes I can say that the landing in PLH isn't for the faint hearted and more of a controlled crash especially in crosswinds and low cloud and drizzle - and I've done the DH7 DH8 and once on a JEA Shorts 360 mail run! - some pilots used to dread it!

When LCY opened, PLH was the only other airport in the world with a certified 7.5 degree ILS, which doesn't sound much when the normal glideslope is 3 degrees but does make hell of a difference.

What about DH7 on its way into CDG and the leading edge boot detaches and lands in a back garden in suburbia and a panel coming off the tail on a Dash-8 on its way to NQY. Nothing new - bits do fall of planes just like any other mode of transport! Thankfully not that often!
How has a wheel detaching got anything to do with the competence of the Commander or anyone else for that matter? confused . With the pounding they take Im suprised it doesn't happen more often!

Last edited by Dash-7 lover; 28th Dec 2006 at 17:14.