PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Inverness Radar
Thread: Inverness Radar
View Single Post
Old 26th Dec 2006, 16:40
heading is good

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Inverness Radar

Oh I do like reading rumour and ill informed arguments, esp those that are bent in order to make the writer's view sound better!
From my understanding, Lossie provide the radar service along the advisory routes to mitigate the risk from other traffic flying about, such as GA and more importantly fast jets, be they from Lossie or elsewhere. As they are advisory routes, the controllers are mandated to provide RAS to participating traffic. They are not providing an approach service to Inverness as SRG said they couldn't, although it seems to make sense that they did. Therefore, at Inverness ATC's request, the tracks are sent to Inverness approx 15-20nm from INV; this means that the aircraft are flying through open FIR in the region of INV under procedural service even though there is a radar unit that can see them. Lossie do, although dont need to, provide advisory actions to aircraft, via Inverness, if aircraft come into confliction.
As to the radar - the servicability of both the primary and secondary as well as the radar coverage both provide, I am sure, have been disclosed to HIAL so they are aware of the level of service they are getting. If the radar at Lossie is not performing well, be that primary or secondary, the controllers will limit service accordingly. Surely the drivers would prefer to know what they are getting rather than bimble about in an air of ignorance? It is probably unhelpful for Ppruners to throw rocks unless they know the full picture. However I am sure that all pilots are fully aware what RAS and RIS mean and the level of service that that implies. ("I'll just take a Radar Advisory...its quite sunny up here" springs to mind!!).
Is it worth asking why you need CAS when you have a radar doing the vectoring and providing RAS? Surely it is safer to have radar than not at all; if Farmer Giles is lost, he will still be lost whether CAS exists or not....! Maybe another argument!
As to the provision of service during the period Lossiemouth is NOTAM'd as closed - I hear from a good source that Lossie are not obliged to provide radar to Inverness during standdowns or leave periods, as, if you recall above, there is no fast jet traffic to mitigate against; however as good neighbours they are controlling during the Xmas period, although for restricted periods. Strictly speaking, the radar service is an MOD - NATS contract so neither Lossie nor Inverness are involved in the grubby cash element.
I'll just go and get my helmet and body armour ready for the returning chest poking!!

Last edited by heading is good; 29th Dec 2006 at 17:49. Reason: spooling errors due to wine and christmas spirit!