PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Top rudder in turns
View Single Post
Old 25th Dec 2006, 01:29
OCTA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sir Pratt

Side slipping spiral dives really don't save you time and only help to cause more stress on the airframe. As your a lame I'm sure you'll understand what the vertical fin is desinged to do i.e. stop the aircraft for slipping so all the time the are in a full rudder side slip and high speed (for a 206 130kts is high speed) you are putting alot of force on the entire tail surface and causing a twisting of the airframe. Then the increased risk of having the engine stop due to lack of fuel getting in the fuel line with a slip on not worth the risk. They guy who wrote the jump pilots guide does know what he is talking about he's only been doing it for 30 years!

Go out and try a decent without spiral diving and without side slipping with 10' of flap out and then try it your way. If it saves you more than a minute I'll be stunned.

And yes i've flown jumpers 300 hours in 206's 300 in 182's and lots more in bigger jump planes. Great fun and if there was any money in it i'd probably still be doing it!

OCTA